OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS 2018. Full Program.
Spots available for ten (10) Residents. Open to all nationalities.
ROOSTERGNN Global News Network (RGNN.org) is accepting applications for its first open call for the ROOSTERGNN ARTIST RESIDENCY in Madrid, Spain, which will accept ten (10) Residents in 2018.
Madrid, Spain: a Capital for Creatives.
It is no wonder that Madrid is breaking tourist records year after year. The most visited city in Spain, Madrid received more than 8.8 million tourists in 2015, writes El Pais. The city’s rich culture, including its Golden Art Triangle, -framed by the Prado Museum, the Thyssen Museum, the Reina Sofia Museum and now the Caixa Forum,- is famous worldwide. Alternative galleries showcasing international independent artists are popping up all over the city as well. From Malasaña to the Barrio de las Letras, Madrid’s diverse neighborhoods are steeped in history, ideal for reflective strolls, both day and night. In recent years, Madrid has moreover become named “capital of fashion” (“capital de la moda“), perfect for those interested in investigating clothes as a socio-cultural reflector that transcends class and provenance. So, too, is the city home of the Spanish language, and one can retrace the footsteps of numerous legendary writers, from the Quijote to Hemingway, in and around Madrid. The city’s proximity to other Spanish towns and cities make for active adventures, be it a day-trip to Toledo or a weekend getaway to Barcelona. On a weekend in Madrid, on the other hand, you can enjoy the Retiro Park or even a typical Real Madrid soccer match – and let’s not forget the delicious food and tapas. There’s something in Madrid for all tastes!
Every Resident works on a self-directed creative project throughout his or her Residency. Candidates should detail their project proposal in the application form. It is not required that residents finish an entire project during their stay at the Madrid Residency; you can work on a project you have started elsewhere, or work on a project in a brainstorming format and continue to work on it after the program.
Language. The Residency can be carried out in English OR Spanish. It is not necessary to speak Spanish in order to complete the Residency. Our Orientation Coordinator is bilingual (English and Spanish), so that Residents can communicate in English or Spanish with him or her.
Types of Residents.
Writers. Applications are open to writers of all literary disciplines: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short stories, etc. The proposal can be to work on an existing project (e.g. if you are already working on a book) or to complete an entire project during your residency in Madrid (e.g. a collection of poems about Spain). Texts can be written in English or Spanish.
Journalists and Bloggers. As a news agency, RGNN.org especially welcomes journalists and bloggers-in-residence. Proposals can be based around a specific theme, e.g. reporting on current events or around a theme, e.g. art, culture, sports, travel, fashion, style, food, etc. The works will be published on RGNN.org. Texts can be written in English or Spanish.
Photographers. Photographers can be of all different disciplines, from artistic photography to street photography to photojournalism. Proposals can be based around a specific theme, e.g. a series photographing street art in Madrid. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org. Photographers can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot work as well. Please note that photographers should provide their own photography (camera, tripod, etc.) and editing equipment.
Filmmakers and videographers. Filmmakers of all disciplines are welcome: film, short film, documentary, video, etc. Selected works may be published on RGNN.org. Filmmakers can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot work as well. Please note that filmmakers should provide their own film (camera, tripod, etc.) and editing equipment (e.g. Final Cut Pro or your editing program of choice).
Digital Artists and Graphic Designers. Applications are open all artists who use digital media to create art and design, from Photoshop to Illustrator to online image and video creation tools. Please note that you should provide your own editing equipment (e.g. Adobe Suite).
Social Media Artists. Applications are open to artists who use social media in their art form. Content should be specifically created for social media (e.g. gifs, videos, images, photos, etc.). Social media artists can take advantage of the RGNN photo and video studio to shoot flat lays and other installations, for example. The “virtual studio” created by the artist may be shared on RGNN social media profiles using the hashtag #RGNNresidency.
Creative Coders. Applications are open to creative coders and programmers, who use coding languages to create tools, apps or art. From HTML to CSS to Ruby on Rails, projects can be as creative as the candidate desires. It is not necessary to finish an entire coding project during the residency, but the proposal should detail what the candidate proposes to work on.
Entrepreneurs and Innovators. The ROOSTERGNN Residency welcomes entrepreneurs looking to create and launch an innovative business idea. It is recommended that entrepreneurs take advantage of Madrid to conduct market research and business meetings, for which the conference room facility is at their disposal. It is not necessary to launch an entire business during the residency, but the proposal should detail what the candidate proposes to work on.
Characteristics of the Residency, Facilities & Benefits.
The Residency includes the following:
- ACCOMMODATION. Accommodation at the Residency in the central neighborhood (barrio de Salamanca) in central Madrid, Spain. The accommodation can be in shared (double, 2 separate beds) apartments or single (1 individual bed) apartments. Please indicate your choice in the application form. RGNN will assign housing. If you are interested in bringing a companion (spouse, partner, friend, family member or children), please contact email@example.com for availability.
Each apartment is furnished with the following facilities:
- Furnished apartment
- Own bathroom and kitchen, complete with fridge, stove, microwave and cooking utensils
- Air-conditioning / heating, depending on season
- Cleaning and changing of sheets and towels
The Residency building moreover includes the following facilities:
- 24 hour concierge
- Laundry, dryer and ironing facilities
- Swimming pool and sundeck, depending on season (usually open during high season months of June, July, August)
2. BRAINSTORMING ROOM. Residents will have access to a shared “Brainstorming Room” with work tables and wifi internet connection to work on their creative projects. The Brainstorming Room will be open from Monday through Friday, from 9.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Note. All Residents should bring their own laptops to work on their projects.
3. CONFERENCE ROOM. Residents will have access to a Conference Room to conduct meetings and conferences. Access to the Conference Room will be based on availability (there will be a sign-up sheet to fill out).
4. RGNN PHOTO & VIDEO STUDIO. Residents will have access to the RGNN Photo and Video Studio, a professional photo and video studio complete with white infinity backgrounds, green backgrounds and black backgrounds as well as professional lighting and a clothing rack. Residents can use the studio to shoot and photograph for their creative projects. Access to the Studio will be based on availability (there will be a sign-up sheet to fill out).
5. PHOTO BOOK OF THE RESIDENCY PROJECT. For each Resident, ROOSTERGNN will conduct a photo shoot with a professional photographer, so that Residents have a photo book of their projects.
6. PROFESSIONAL HEADSHOT PHOTOSHOOT. In addition to the photo book of the Residency project, the professional photographer will take professional headshots for the Residents that they can use for their future career, websites, Linkedin profiles, social media networks, etc.
7. PUBLICATION AND PROMOTION ON RGNN.ORG. The projects and/or interviews with Residents moreover can be published by the agency, RGNN.org, as well as on its diverse communication channels and social media networks, allowing Residents to publish and promote their work to a global audience.
8. ORIENTATION COORDINATOR. The Residency program is supervised by an Orientation Coordinator in charge of the logistics of the Residency and at the Residents’ disposal for orientating them in Madrid and with their projects. Please note that Residents complete a self-directed project; the Orientation Coordinator does not complete the project on behalf of the Resident; his or her job is to orient the Resident. The Orientation Coordinator is bilingual (English and Spanish).
9. PORTABLE WIFI ROUTER (OPTIONAL).
Residents can opt to receive a router with portable wifi high-speed 4G internet connection. To access the router, the Resident will have to make a router deposit of fifty (50) Euros, which will be returned to the Resident when she or she returns the router.
Applications are open for 2018 for complete months. Minimum: one (1) month, maximum: twelve (12) months.
- Monday, January 1, 2018 to Wednesday, January 31, 2018.
- Thursday, February 1, 2018 to Wednesday, February 28, 2018.
- Thursday, March 1, 2018 to Saturday, March 31, 2018.
- Sunday, April 1, 2018 to Monday, April 30, 2018.
- Tuesday, May 1, 2018 to Thursday, May 31, 2018.
- High Season: Friday, June 1, 2018 to Saturday, June 30, 2018.
- High Season: Sunday, July 1, 2018 to Tuesday, July 31, 2018.
- High Season: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 to Friday, August 31, 2018.
- Saturday, September 1, 2018 to Sunday, September 30, 2018.
- Monday, October 1, 2018 to Wednesday, October 31, 2018.
- Thursday, November 1, 2018 to Friday, November 30, 2018.
- Saturday, December 1, 2018 to Monday, December 31, 2018.
Standard Residency Fee:
- 1,500 Euros. Shared (double) apartment.
- 2,000 Euros. Private apartment.
High Season Residency Fee (June, July, August):
- 2,000 Euros. Shared (double) apartment.
- 2,500 Euros. Private apartment.
Payment of Residency Fee.
Residency Fees should be paid via bank transfer or cash deposit into a bank account that will be provided to selected candidates.
Once accepted by ROOSTERGNN, candidates will have seventy-two (72) business hours to make a five-hundred (500) Euro deposit for the Residency. The rest of the Residency Fee will be due ten (10) business days after having paid the deposit, always before the start date of the Residency.
All Residency Fees, including the deposit, are non-refundable and non-transferable.
ROOOSTERGNN reserves the right to terminate the Enrollment of any Residenc who does not respect the norms or mission of the Program.
Residency Fees are non-refundable.
Important Note: The Residency Fee stated is the exact amount in Euros to be received by the RGNN Residency. Residents are responsable for inquiring with their bank about possible wire transfer fees, and if so, for covering fees incurred by their bank.
To apply for a spot, please fill out the following form:
LEGAL FRAMEWORK. The Residency Programs are regulated by the norms of their program, in its last published version, and by the currently valid legislation in the Kingdom of Spain. ROOSTERGNN can take photographs, videos, interviews during the Residency Programs and can make use of this material in its publicities and promotions. By formalizing the Enrollment, the Residents authorize ROOSTERGNN for this use.
ROOSTERGNN reserves the right to modify or cancel the Residency Programs depending on the needs of the agency and possible local contingencies. In the case of a cancellation of a Program, ROOSTERGNN will refund the full payment of the Residency Fee to the originating bank account.
It is the responsibility of the Residency to submit the required, accurate documentation to ROOSTERGNN by the deadlines established by the organization. Moreover, it is the obligation of Residency to comply with the norms of the program and respect the persons in charge. The organization will be completely free of any responsibility arising from the incompliance of these norms, and incompliance can lead to the Residency being expelled from the program he or she has enrolled in.
Note. In the event that ROOSTERGNN has provided you with a translation of the Spanish version of this document, you accept that such a translation is provided solely for your convenience, and in your relationship with ROOSTERGNN, the Spanish version of this document prevails in any case.